Transgender Hormone Therapy: Masculinizing
The cornerstone of hormone therapy for trans masculine patients is testosterone. The goal of treatment is virilization – the development of masculine secondary sexual characteristics.
At Biosymmetry, options for testosterone administration include injectable and transdermal preparations (patch or gel). Injectable formulations are most commonly used, due to their superior efficacy and affordability. While intramuscular injection (IM) is the most common means of administering parenteral testosterone, subcutaneous (SQ) delivery has also been used with clinical efficacy and is very well-tolerated. Proponents describe less discomfort for patients, a decreased rate of injection-site complications, and increased capacity for self-injection.
What to expect from testosterone
The degree and rate of physical effects is dependent on the dose and route of administration, as well as patient-specific factors such as age, genetics, body habitus and lifestyle. Desired androgenic effects of testosterone therapy include deepened voice, cessation of menses, clitoral growth, increased muscle mass, and hair growth in androgen dependent areas including facial hair. Breast tissue may lose glandularity, but generally does not lose mass or hemi circumference.1 Typically, patients taking testosterone will experience masculinizing changes over a period of months to years. The timeframe of physiologic changes may be slightly slower with the use of transdermal preparations.
- Pregnancy or breast feeding
- Active sex hormone-sensitive cancer (e.g., breast, endometrial)
- Unstable ischemic cardiovascular disease
- Poorly controlled psychosis or acute homicidality
- Psychiatric conditions which limit the ability to provide informed consent
- Hypersensitivity to one of the components of the formulation
Precautions and Risk Mitigation
Pre-existing medical conditions and risk factors may impart increased risks with testosterone administration and should be considered in order to enable individualized discussions regarding the risks and benefits of treatment.
*Individual results may vary.
- Have you been struggling with your weight for years?
- Are you suffering from joint pain, sleep apnea, lack of mobility or other weight-related issues?
- Have you been diagnosed with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes? Or been prescribed medications for high blood pressure or cholesterol?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, now is the time to make a change. Our team is here to help!
Our Signature Program Includes:
- Diagnostic testing
- Guidance from a medical weight loss specialist
- Nutritional counseling
- Weight loss medication (or not)
- Ongoing support & accountability
- Exercise guidance