Male Enhancement Shot (PRP)
The Male Enhancement Shot involves taking platelet-rich plasma (PRP) from your blood and injecting it into your penis. This means our clinic takes your own cells and tissues and injects them into your penile tissues to promote tissue growth and purportedly give you better erections.
What is the Male Enhancement Shot used for?
The Male Enhancement Shot is based on PRP therapy used in recovery from muscle and joint injuries and explored for treating chronic health conditions.
In all cases, it’s considered an experimental treatment.
In short, the Male Enhancement Shot has been used as an alternative treatment in cases including:
- erectile dysfunction (ED)
- lichen sclerosus
- Peyronie’s disease, a condition in which scar tissue makes the penis curve when it’s erect
- penis enhancement
- general sexual function, performance, and orgasm enhancement
What is PRP?
PRP therapy involves injecting a concentration of platelets from your own blood into your body. Platelets are involved in normal wound healing and mechanisms like blood clotting.
So, does it work?
All we have to go on is anecdotal. If it works to enhance sexual function, no one knows why, whether it’s repeatable or not, what outcomes are, or how safe it is.
Orgasms happen (and don’t happen) for a number of physical, mental, and emotional reasons. A shot may not actually do anything for the root cause of your ability to have orgasms.
The benefits of this treatment on sexual performance may be attributed to:
- increased blood flow
- repair responses in some tissue or cells
- new neural pathways being established (from new experiences and positive reinforcement)
- the placebo effect
What to expect during your appointment
The Male Enhancement Shot is an outpatient procedure, so you can go in, have it done, and be out in approximately an hour. This is what to expect during your visit.
- Apply a cream or ointment that numbs the genital area and give you a local anesthetic that numbs the area around it, too.
- Take a blood sample from your body, usually from your arm or somewhere non-invasive, into a testing tube.
- Put the testing tube in a centrifuge for a few minutes to separate the components of your blood and isolate the platelet-rich plasma (PRP).
- Extract PRP from the testing tube fluid and put them into two separate syringes for injection.
- Inject PRP into the penile shaft. This is completed in a few seconds with about 4 to 5 separate injections.
- A penis pump may be given to people who received an injection into the penile shaft. This helps draw blood into the penis and ensure the PRP is working as intended. You may be asked to do this yourself daily for 10 minutes over a few weeks. But using one too often or too long can damage elastic tissue in the penis, leading to less firm erections.
When should you see results?
Your results can vary widely based on your overall health as well as other factors that may be contributing to your sexual function. Some people see results right away after one treatment. Others may not experience results for several months or until they’ve received multiple treatments.
According to Dr. Pate, based on his experience as a provider of the Male Enhancement Shot at his practice, he categorizes responses to treatment into three general categories:
- Early responders see effects within the first 24 hours.
- Normal responders see effects in three to six treatments; after the second treatment they notice a change in responses. In one month or two months they reach the peak of their results.
- Late responders see good results in three to four months.
*Individual results may vary.